Monday 25 August 2014

Harvest Monday - a bit 'lite'

Ok, it's been raining all day today and I've been busy with guests over the weekend and haven't been down to the plot since Friday. I'm sure there's absolutely loads of lovely produce down there waiting for me ;)
So this is a bit of a 'lite' report on this weeks gatherings. Everything has definitely slowed-up a bit too, especially with the weather turning cold (apparently coldest august on record I thnk I heard?). These are all difffernt veg in each photo:
Thoughtful curcurbits

Sad beans (not as many as last week)
Happy harvest from the back garden when it was sunny featuring blauhilde purple beans and Lady Di runners. And looks a bit like Sideshow Bob?
I hadn't picked the beans in the back garden for a few days and found some really long ones growing over the fence. I usually pick them a lot smaller so will see how they compare with taste and texture. The longest (the nose) was over 40cm long ( I wrote it down somewhere but can't find the bit of paper). The little courgettes are green bush.
This week I also started picking elderberries from around the neighbourhood and will continue probably on weds. There's a big variety in ripeness depending on aspect etc so although some are already going over, there's still plenty waiting to ripen. This rain might swell them up a bit too, more juicy.
Oh, almost forgot a big bowl of tomatoes from the lean-to at home picked on Saturday.
A mixture of Sweet Cherry, Super Marmande, Money Maker and so e others that you can't see as they're underneath.
So I'm linking in late again to Harvest Monday on Daphne's Dandelions :)






8 comments:

  1. Very creative - as usual. And that's one looooong nose ;)

    It's crazy how, all the way across the ocean, you are also having a cold August. I can't recall ever having a chillier July & August than what we have experienced this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nose was surprisingly tender! Makes me wonder if I should leave them all a bit longer (but not quite that long)
      Yes funny isn't it? We had quite a mixed July with heavy rainstorms but at least it was warm. Been a bit warmer this afternoon actually which has been nice. Yesterday and this morning were very chilly though.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, probably my best year I think. Just hope they carry on ripening despite the chill. It can still get quite warm in the lean-to during the day with a bit of sun.

      Delete
  3. Love it, envious of your tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I must've done something right this year! I mainly used a mix of my own compost with a bit of multi-purpose peat-free added. I've been putting comfrey leaves round the base every now and then and giving them a feed of homemade comfrey liquid when I remember. (I made it for the first time this year, on the allot where the smell doesn't matter too much)

      Delete
  4. That is one huge runner beans. I haven't grown runners in years. Lovely harvests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks daphne, It was a bit of a surprise! Not sure how long it had been growing....hopefully the runners will carry on cropping for a while.

      Delete